Homeschool Foreign Language Curriculum
Learning a foreign language is a crucial part of a well-rounded education. It has many benefits for the student, including improving important cognitive skills and building cultural awareness. It’s also required in some states to graduate high school.
If you’re considering incorporating a foreign language curriculum into your child’s homeschooling program, Power Homeschool can help. We offer innovative and captivating Acellus® courses to help parents teach their children a foreign language at a pace that works for them.
What a Foreign Language Curriculum Looks Like
A foreign language curriculum should start with the basics and help students develop listening and speaking skills. Lessons must be captivating, interactive and fun to keep students engaged and help them remember what they’ve learned. Once a student understands the fundamentals, they’ll move on to more advanced lessons and build writing and reading skills.
Courses should also include cultural elements to provide context. For example, the best Spanish homeschool curriculum will also teach the students about Spanish art, history, food, beliefs and customs.
Acellus® foreign language courses incorporate all the fundamentals, and students learn through captivating videos and interactive course material. After each lesson, students practice what they learned and move on to the next step after mastering the concept presented.
Language Options Available With Power Homeschool
We offer homeschooled students flexible, self-paced Spanish, French and German curricula that consist of official Acellus® courses.
Here’s an overview of each:
- Homeschool Spanish curriculum: Students can start with Discover Spanish to learn basic vocabulary, pronunciation and syntax. Spanish I, II and III incorporate grammar and expand vocabulary and cultural knowledge.
- Homeschool French curriculum: French I is designed for high school students taking their first French class. It has 13 units and covers the basics, including numbers, vocab, verbs, greetings and culture. French II is designed for students who wish to develop fluency.
- Homeschool German Curriculum: German I provides introductory knowledge, such as basic greetings, numbers and an overview of German culture. German II increases the student’s understanding of this language’s vocabulary, grammar and culture.
Benefits of Learning a Foreign Language
Learning a foreign language brings many benefits that can be applied to just about every area of life. These advantages include:
- Improved cognitive skills: Learning a foreign language improves memory, creativity, problem-solving and listening skills. It also enhances executive functions — the skills we use to plan, organize and practice self-control. Overall, language learning strengthens our ability to learn new things and succeed academically.
- Greater empathy and understanding: Foreign language courses teach students about a new culture and help them understand cultural differences. As a result, students get to see from different perspectives and develop empathy and appreciation for people in the world.
- More opportunities: Foreign language skills bring more career and education opportunities. Many employers need bilingual employees, so learning another language gives a competitive edge. Also, many undergrad programs require foreign language coursework. Building diverse language skills can help your child reach their academic goals later.
What Makes Acellus Courses So Effective
Prism Diagnostics® identifies specific deficiencies in students’ understanding of core concepts and responds immediately with Customized Personal Instruction (CPI) videos for that precise deficit. The result is that every student receives personalized instruction – right at the moment when they need it most.
Vectored Instruction™ enables students to master foundational skills they are missing that are prerequisites to success in their current course of study. Vectored Instruction fills in the gaps while keeping students within their credit-level course, enabling them to complete their coursework with passing grades and get on track for graduation.
Enroll in Power Homeschool for Foreign Language Education